Sunday, April 7

The Rules of Engagement

     Earlier this week I got a text from my mom that said, "Question for you. If you could only have two rules for your life what would they be?..." (Note: I love my mom! She comes up with the greatest thought provoking questions!) Anyway, I knew right away what my answer was so I texted back, "1) Don't be stupid. And 2) Treat people the way you want to be treated."
     My definition of stupid is "Doing what you want even though you know you shouldn't." I'm sure we've all been stupid at one point or another and everyone knows stupid doesn't end well, so it's a rule I truly try to live by. And rule number 2 well that one is pretty self-explanitory but I believe it's super important so I make it a priority. The rest of my family was asked the same question and here's what they came up with.
  • Courtney (7) - The Fruit of the Spirit
  • Bridget (9) - Give me all your candy
  • Harrison (13) - He can get whatever he wants, when he wants, for free
  • Jocelyn (15) - Only my rules apply
  • Addison (16) - Only he can make/change the rules, He gets 1% of everyone's income
  • Camille (18) - Keep your commitments, Don't take life for granted
  • Jon - Love hard, Work hard
  • Mom & Dad - Love God, Love everybody
  • Grammy - Turn off the lights, Quit slammin' the doors!
     As you can see not everyone took the question as seriously as some others but it was good to think about it. With so many rules in life it's good to know which ones you personally strive to keep. As kids we receive rules in the home to keep order and allow people to be safe, to instill a general sense of morality and common curtesy but there's comes a point when we have to choose personal standards and "rules". This past year was my year for growing up and becoming an adult. I've had to go out there and figure out who I really am.What are my convictions? My standards? My rules for life? Because honestly if it's not a personal conviction what's your motivation for keeping the rules, right?
   So now I ask you, if you could only have two rules for your life what would they be? I'd love to know!


Real Life Example
     My first thought as I woke up this morning was "I have to have a doughnut!" I don't crave doughnuts very often but when I do, I really do. Maybe it was the chocolate I had right before bed last night... Or maybe the two Advil PM's that I also took right before bed. Either way I woke up with a doughnut craving, a sprinkled doughnut craving. So, guess what I had for breakfast? That's right! A doughnut! As I was eating my rainbow sprinkled chocolate covered pastry of deliciousness I thought about my rules for life. "Hm,  number one is don't be stupid... should I be eating this piece of fried dough first thing in the morning? Considering I've got to keep my girlish figure looking girlish I'd say yes so, check! And number two... If I were this doughnut and it were me I would definitely want to be eaten, check again!" And I enjoyed every bite.

     Live. Laugh. Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment