Friday, March 29

All In a Day's Word - Part 2

     Who here has ever been hurt by what other people have said or can remember a time when you said something you regretted to a friend? Everyone has, right? Sometimes I can't believe how easily words fly out of my mouth. I say things I don't mean but those words are there forever, living on in history and memory.
     In every family you have the clean freaks and the not-so-clean freaks. Let's be honest...some of us can't get into bed at night if it hasn't been made up yet and will not ever get in until all the popcorn kernels and wrinkles have been rooted out. And then there are some that are not bothered at all by the bed and if the house gets clean then great, but if not then the lived-in look is also great. The clean freaks have always wondered how it can be so easy for us to walk the five more steps to the hamper, while for everyone else it's like a lava pit is forever between them and the dirty clothes pile, forbidding any access!
     Well I'm the clean freak and Jon is the not-so-clean freak so we balance each other out quite well. ;) It would be easy for me to get upset (and I definitely do sometimes get upset) because he doesn't function the way I do. But first of all I don't really see how I could be upset for long when he looks at me with his winsome smile and blue eyes, and second I make it a point to appreciate the things he does do for me. He makes up the bed, cleans the kitchen with me, our car is always clean, and he picks up his dirty clothes from the bathroom floor. Wow, I appreciate those things!
     Jon is definitely the more easy going of the two of us and I can never top his sweet gestures, but I do make it a point to acknowledge the things he does for me. As a couple, as a family and as best friends, we've seen time and again how important it is that we feel loved, appreciated, and supported. We've entrusted each other with our hearts and we've got to be careful not to trample any flame, but kindle the sparks.
     When you're close to someone, you know what hurts them and you know what love looks like to them. I've personally witnessed how people will rise or fall to meet your expectations, cause you have the power to build them up or break them down. The words we speak to someone help mold them into the person they are. It takes a stronger man to point out the good that you see instead of focusing on the negative. Life can be tiring so why not give someone a breath of fresh air? A compliment, something you appreciate about someone, a quick thanks... At least once a day when you have a chance to complain this week, make a conscious effort to build someone up instead and see if there's a difference in the way you both feel!

     Live. Laugh. Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment