Monday, March 4

It's Home

     "Home [isn't] a set house, or a single town on a map. It [is] wherever the people who [love] you [are], whenever you [are] together. Not a place, but a moment, and then another, building on each other like bricks to create a solid shelter that you take with you for your entire life, wherever you may go."
~ Sarah Dessen     


     While living in a basement I've had time to ponder what exactly is a "home". It's obviously not a house cause those come and go but really it's love, safety, a person/people. It's a place for honesty and support, laughter, and a shoulder for when the storms hit.
     I sometimes get grumpy when I think about not having a place of my own, but I've come to grips with the fact that even though I don't have a house (yet) I DO have a home. And I have freedom to be me in my "home". For example, I don't remember being a super inquisitive child growing up cause I just knew stuff. I don't know how I knew, I just knew. And if I knew that I knew what I knew then how was I to know that there were things in life that I didn't know that I knew. You following me? Anyway, not being quizzical during childhood has led me to be an asker of all questions. (Kind of like a jack of all trades, but different) And most of my genius comes in the quiet, dead of night, right before the heavy snoring kicks in...
     "Babe... Babe, I have to know something..."Mmmmkay, huh what is it?" "Are suppositories real? Like can they really do that?" "What?! Seriously, that's what you've been thinking about all night?" "Haha yes, someone once told me doctors could do that if you don't take your medicine and I have to know if it's true or not... I don't remember how I started thinking about that...but anyway, Babe, is it true?" "Haha yes it's true! Where do you come up with this stuff?! Haha I can't believe that this is what keeps you up at night!" "I know I can't believe it either! But I just had to know so, that's it. Goodnight!"
     And after that my brain is happy and I can go to sleep. But the important thing is that Jon loves my questions and I have a safe home to ask them in, I have a place to be me. We can talk, share, ask questions, be weird, sing funny songs, and pick out our zombie apocalypse teams without being judged, but supported and respected and loved.
     And while I would still love a house to move my home into, I can appreciate what I have right here and now. :)
     So who/what makes your house a home?


Here's our "for now" home. :)
Before...

After...


   

No comments:

Post a Comment