Sunday, May 5

A Time For Every Stage

     As some of you know I grew up the eldest of seven children. I love my family. We had a blast growing up and I have so many fond memories of making blanket forts and playing Cowboys and Indians. We had lemonade and popsicle stands and even went rowing in our pond using plastic buckets. Such adventures! But, as our family grew, I also became quite skilled in labeling my candy, Coke's, and other goodies. Because if my name wasn't on it, someone else would nab it and it was mine.
     With kids everyone has to have the same amount of cookies. You have to take turns picking out the movies or someone never gets to watch their favorite show. I remember I never wanted to buy gum as a kid cause as soon as I pulled out a piece for me it was, "Ooh can I have a piece? Me too! Yeah I want one!" And then it was GONE. (Oh man those were fun times!) Well, I haven't lived at home for a while now and apparently I've forgotten how to live with kids.
     I work out of my boss's home office and am practically a part of their family as I see them everyday and play around with the kids and eat lunch with the Kindergartner. I've been invited to eat and drink anything out of the fridge and pantry but I forgot... children count. They count the goldfish and the pudding cups, the cokes are portioned out, and the fruit is pretty much labeled. One day, I happened to be extra thirsty and I saw that there was a Coke in the fridge. I thought nothing of it as I sipped that refreshing can of awesomeness. But later on I heard someone complaining, "Where's my Coke?! We had three left, one for each of us, and I don't have one! Somebody drank miiiinnnneee! (and then there was a little bit of crying involved)" Oh man this was bad, this was very bad. I had the evidence sitting right on my desk! I should throw it away! No, confession is better...! Confession was not better. I received the "I just got kicked in the gut and left in the rain" look. (Oh, how that torments the soul)
     I also forgot that you can't try to pass anything off on kids either, they are just too darn good! It was my lunch break and I had finished my meal a little early and thought that I'd make a move on Words with Friends and then get back to work. "Whatcha doin', Bri?" "Oh, I'm just getting back to work." "No you're not, you're playing games on your phone!" (laughter emanated from the other room, yeah it was the boss) "Ah... you got me."

     I've been realizing lately how very different stages in life can be. It's kinda sad when it hits you that you're not waiting around for your 18th birthday anymore so you can finally be an "adult". Or that you pay bills instead of beg for ice cream cones. And sometimes life hits a new normal and I freak out a little bit because I was content with the way things used to be. But I've come to realize that "new normal" is ok too, if you let it. New isn't bad, it's just...different.
     It was fun being a kid and sometimes I wish I could go back in time, it was fun being single (not really, but I got used to it ;) and it was fun being engaged. Work is now tiring and life has just been one thing after another recently but it's fun making a new life with the man I love. I'm learning to enjoy this new stage in life because every situation becomes what you make of it. And I want to make this one the greatest yet. :)
     I'm anything but the expert on life and marriage and love but I do know it helps to take a step back and just realize what you have. When you're single, take advantage of that time and do whatever it is you've always wanted to accomplish. If you're transitioning from new couple to couple enjoy the satisfaction of really starting to know someone. If you're the marriage veteran look at you're best friend and bask in how much a part of them has become you, revel at how much life and love you have shared.
     There's a time for every stage in life so while it's here, let's make the most of it because once it's gone, it's gone and nothing but memories remain. What kind of memories do you want to look back on forever?

     Live. Laugh. Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment