Saturday, August 31

Ezekiel ~ He's a "One Percenter"

     I don't know about you, but I've read the biblical book of Ezekiel a few times so far in my short twenty-something life. (Ok fine, maybe not a few times... Maybe once... With an attempt at twice... Maybe.) Either way I've read it, but apparently I haven't read it because as I was talking with my mom the other day she was telling me things about Ezekiel that I had no idea about!
Mom and Josie :)
     My parents still have five of their seven children living at home and two of those five are teenagers who are continually romping and stomping about the place. (You know. Being teenagers. ;) And my mom was telling me about a very passionate pep-talk she had given my sister Josie the other day. She said, "So, I was telling Jocelyn that I want her to strive to be like a top 10% character filled person. You know a top '10 percenter' would be like David, Moses, Paul or Ezekiel. Actually no, not Ezekiel, because he is in the top 1%."
     "Ok, why is he top 1%...?"
     "Well because God had asked him to lay on his left side for 390 days, without getting up or anything! Think about how much trust he had to have in God to go through with a command like that and wow Ezekiel's obedience was just incredible!"
     I knew I was missing mom's point when all I could think to ask was, "What about peeing and pooping?!"
     "Oh I don't know I'm sure he just...hm well... Anyway! He couldn't move and he even had to use dung to bake his bread! Think about that amazing will power!
     I was stunned. This was horrible; disgusting to say the least. So, in a state of awed stupor I could think of nothing to do except resort to unabated sarcasm. "Whoohoo I am telling you what, Mom! Yes!! That is just incredible! If I were Josie I would be totally and completely inspired by that as well! I can't wait 'til I can be a top 'one percenter' because that is just...WHEW! Oh man, I am just overcome. Overcome I tell you! Ezekiel's story got to me. Right here!" I added as I thumped my chest and composed myself after a fake sniffle or two.
     "And, AND, God also told Ezekiel that He was going to take his wife away and so God killed his wife and Ezekiel still chose to obey God! Brianna! This is mind-blowing stuff!"
     "Wow! This 'one percenter' stuff just keeps getting better and better, doesn't it!? This is seriously inspiring, like I don't even know how I can go on living my average life any more. Father in heaven, REIGN DOWN on ME Ezekiel's 'one percentedness' right now! Hallelujah! Can I get an Amen?!"
     "And just think what the media would say and do if someone in our time was willing to trust and obey God to this extent!"
     "Mom, nobody does that type of stuff anymore."
     "Exactly! Nobody at all even thinks like this, let alone acts like this anymore. But if someone did they would be on like World Magazine and like National Geographic and whatever other magazines are out there!"
     "Mom, I don't ever want to see you on the cover of World Magazine.... LOL, ever."

     After I made fun of mom, I really started to think about Ezekiel's story. Maybe we aren't asked to lay on our sides for over 300 days, but we have each been tasked with an assignment from God. Your task could be to remain single for a while, to become a stay at home parent, give up an addiction, start an orphanage in India, give up your time to serve in church or a nursing home, etc. I don't know what you've been tasked with, but I know that it is something of the greatest importance. I wonder how far we'd be willing to go in our trust and obedience to God? What would it look like if we truly embraced our mission?
     Anywho, those are my thoughts for the day. :)

     Live. Laugh. Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment